Thursday, April 6, 2017

A Baby Layout + Some Thoughts On Working With Bold Colors

Hello everyone! I'm popping onto the blog today to share a layout I made for the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog.

This month, the team is using the February 2017 Cocoa Daisy kit, Ashton Court, as inspiration. Ashton Court had a bright, festive color palette made up of sunshine yellow, lime green and deep navy. None of those are colors I'm usually drawn to in scrapbooking, but something about them spoke to me this time around. They struck me as being very "summery" and goodness knows I could use a healthy dose of summer in my life right now! You can see the mini page kit I pulled together over on the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog, but here's the layout I ended up making ...


That's my little munchkin, freshly scrubbed and bathed and ready for bed. I love that photo of her and wanted to make a fun, cheerful layout to document the candid snapshot.

As I was putting this layout together, I was reminded of this post I wrote back in 2014 for a National Scrapbook Day extravaganza event over on the CKC blog. Working with neon colors isn't always easy - but it is possible! Now, I realize that in this month's counterfeit kit the colors aren't exactly neon, per se ... but I believe the same principles apply when working with bright, bold colors in general.

In the post referenced, I shared 3 simple tips on how to incorporate neon products on your projects and I used all 3 of those tips on my layout above. I kept my "neon use" to a minimum, I used a white background to create a softer look and I used layers of shades (bright neon yellow on top of sunshine yellow, for example) to prevent the pops of neon from stealing the show. I also used another trick - a black and white photo - to keep the design from looking too busy. I hope this inspires you! xx

4 comments :

  1. What an adorable photo! I love the bright colors on your layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are finding some scrappy time. Beautiful baby. Precious photo. Fun layout. Thanks for the tips on using challenging colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful colourful layout which suit this photo perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful layout and she is such a cutie :) I can see both of you in her features

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo