Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Scrapper In The City - Meet Darlene Whalley

Hi everyone! I'm popping in today with the third installment of Scrapper In The City - a monthly series here on my blog where I have an informal Q&A session with a scrapbooker whose work I admire. April came and went in the blink of an eye and I didn't have time to get a "Scrapper In The City" post up - sorry about that! I was determined to get back on track this month as I love getting know fellow scrapbookers.

Today I want you to meet Darlene Whalley  ...


I live on the Canadian west coast and Darlene lives allllll the way over on the east coast.  Despite living on opposite sides of the country, we're proof that it's a small world - Darlene's husband grew up in the very suburb my husband and I now live in! I've been following Darlene's blog for awhile now and her work never ceases to amaze me. She has a style that's all her own - a little steampunk, a little shabby chic … think Tim Holtz meets Anna Griffin. I was so happy when she agreed to share her thoughts on using sketches, finding time to scrapbook and shopping for supplies locally.

Hi Darlene! Let's begin with telling my readers a little about 
I will be 48 years old this month and I started scrapbooking, I would say, about 15 years ago. I began because I think it's a beautiful way to display photos and it's the perfect creative outlet for me - there are so many different techniques, styles and yummy supplies to play with! Plus I can pass the scrapbooks down to my children when they are older. I live in a small town of almost 15,000 in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. I have lived here all my life. I am a full-time nurse, working permanent 12 hour night shifts on a surgical unit. This is my 25th year being a nurse. I have two wonderful children, a boy and a girl. My girl is the youngest, just turned 17, so before I know it I will be an empty-nester. I am married to my best friend, who puts up with my scrapbook addiction. :)

How would you describe your scrappy style?
Hmmm, I don't feel that I have one style. I do scrap a lot in the "shabby chic" style. I like lots of layering on my pages and I just love using flowers. I am a huge fan of Graphic 45 and My Mind's Eye, and Prima and Petaloo as I loooove flowers!

You mentioned that you work 12 hour night shifts … how do you find time to scrap?! 
Good question! Basically, I scrap on most of my days off and sometimes I scrap a little bit after I get up in the daytime even when I go back to work that night (if I am not too tired). Because I work night shifts, I am up late, sometimes very late, on my days off and I get a lot done then.

What advice do you have for people who want to scrapbook but aren't sure they can fit creative time into their daily life?
My advice to fitting creating into their daily life would be to have a space close to where you spend most of your time - my craft room is right next to my living area and kitchen. And you don't have to sit down and scrap or craft for hours … a little bit here and there all adds up! Do a little while you are waiting for dinner to cook, or before your kids get up, etc. Now, having said that, my youngest is 17 so I do not have little kids to take up all my time :) If you love to create - do what you can, when you can!


Where do you find yourself doing most of your scrappy shopping?
I get the majority of my scrapbook supplies online at various places, but I also shop locally. A friend in town owns a convenience store, and she is a scrapper, so she has a small scrapbook section in her store. I buy a lot of things from her as I like to support her, but she also brings in beautiful things so why wouldn't why?

You were on the Nuts About Sketches design team last year. Can you share any tips or suggestions for people who struggle when it comes to working with sketches?
I used to struggle with sketches until I realized that I took them way too literally. Say, if it has two pictures and stars, you don't have to put two pictures and stars on your page. You can have one picture that's bigger, or three smaller ones that take up roughly the same space. And the stars can be any embellishment! The sketches are "suggestions". Try to think outside the box, add more than what is in the sketch, rotate it to suit your taste/style better. Have fun with it!


You've ordered from Skyline Paperie already (thank you!!) and you picked out the cutest embellies. I loved packing up your order! Which Skyline products top your wish list right now?
The flair buttons!! Especially the So Retro buttons and all the ones with tea and coffee. Aaaand, sequins! The only flair buttons and sequins that I have came from Skyline Paperie. Plus, I also love the cabochons! :)

It wouldn't be a true Scrapper In The City post without a game of "finish this sentence"! 
Complete these sentences for us … 

  • If I couldn't blog about scrapbooking/crafts, I'd blog about … my dog! Her name is Soda :)
  • If I could only use 3 supplies (plus adhesive) on all my future layouts I would choose to use … flowers!! Ink and bling (I assume paper is included!)
  • If I could meet any famous scrapbooker for lunch, I'd want to hang out with … Tim Holtz. I adore everything he does.
Photo Credit: Favim.com
Time for a non-scrapbooking related question now … Not including your own city, which cities do you love to visit or dream of someday visiting?
I love to visit St. John's which is the capital of our province of Newfoundland and Labrador. I spend as much time downtown when I visit as it is beautiful and full of interesting little shops and cool scenery. St John's has the distinction of being the oldest city in North America. My MOST favorite place in the world is London, England. I adore everything about it! It's so full of history and amazing architecture. I wanted to go to London my whole life and finally made it there in 2009, and again the next year!!! I cannot wait to go back! And my other favorite place is Vancouver. My husband is from just outside of there and it is an amazing city. If I were to visit somewhere that I haven't been it would be Rome - talk about history!!

Where can people find you online?
I have a blog called My Tattooed Paper Heart - http://cherrytat.blogspot.ca
Pinterest - http://www.pinterest.com/cherrytat/
Instagram - @darlenemary46

A huge thank you to Darlene for taking time out of her busy schedule to chat with me! I appreciate it :) Be sure to swing by her blog and leave her some love - you'll find lots of great layouts and projects there to inspire you!

If you would like to be featured as a Scrapper in the City please leave a comment below and share what some of your crafty goals are for the summer. xo

4 comments :

  1. Awesome, I love your support at the store. I also love your work, and all your styles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. Congrats Darlene. I've always been a fan of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Love Darlene's stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies :) much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo